Buying A Mattress: What Should You Look Out For?17.01.2020
Buying a mattress can be quite tricky. There are so many different models to choose from, each promising to give you the best night’s sleep. But how do you actually go about buying a mattress? We’ve put together a list of things to look out for and do, when buying a mattress.
You should start by researching the different types of mattresses and their advantages. Then it’s important that you compare the mattresses, so you can find the best mattress for your needs. You should focus your comparison on the following properties:
- Firmness: The firmness determines the comfort and whether you wake up well-rested.
- Mattress core: This can be foam, feathers, latex, gel or a combination of these. The mattress core materials all have different properties. These materials are instrumental to the firmness of the mattress and therefore its comfort.
- Suitable for your bed-base: Not all mattresses are suitable for every bed base. Ask the sales clerk or check the website where you want to buy this.
- Personal circumstances: you personal circumstances, such as whether you suffer from aches and pains, sleep with a partner or have a budget should also be taken into consideration.
Buying a mattress: what questions should you ask?
Good advice is invaluable when buying a mattress. Not only it is a large investment, but you’ll also be using it for a considerable amount of time. But you also have to ask the right question, if you want to get good advice. But what questions should you even ask? In addition to discussing price and delivery conditions, you should make sure to cover the following topics:
- Your current bed base. As discussed earlier, not every mattress is suitable for any old bed base. You should definitely avoid placing your mattress directly on the floor, even though some mattress retailers might say you can do that. Not only will you improve the lifespan of the mattress, but you’ll also get additional support if you put your new mattress on the correct base.
- Whether you tend to suffer from night sweats. Everyone perspires during the night, but some suffer from excessive sweating at night. If this is the case, you should definitely mention it to the sales clerk, as they’ll be able to select a mattress that has good breathability.
- Favourite sleeping position. Some mattresses are more suitable for side sleepers, others for back sleepers – ask which the mattress suits your preferred sleeping position the best!
- Back or neck pain. A bad mattress is often the cause of back or neck ache. Even if you don’t think a mattress sales clerk is the right person to ask, you should definitely mention it.
- Try it out. Always ask if you can sleep on the mattress for at least 3 weeks, because it is only under real sleeping conditions that you can determine whether a mattress is suitable for you. This is one of the great advantages of ordering a mattress online. Many mattress e-commerce’s offer a lengthy trial period, so you have enough time to really test out the mattress. In addition, their customer service is often so good that you can easily mention the above topics when talking to them.
Sleep deprivation is a common problem in the UK. It is described as the inability to fall asleep or stay asleep. While many people don’t get enough sleep at night, not everyone is aware of the health effects a lack of sleep can have. It can have a serious impact on your day-to-day life and also lead to more serious health conditions.
Causes of sleep deprivation
Sleep deprivation can have various different causes. You might not be getting a sufficient amount of sleep due to work or study commitments. A poor sleep environment might also be preventing you from falling asleep easily. Insomnia and other sleep disorders also make falling and staying asleep a lot harder.
Short and long term effects of sleep deprivation
You can usually immediately tell when you haven’t gotten enough sleep. Not only will you feel exhausted, but you will probably notice a change in your mood. Irritability and mood swings, in addition to a general lack of energy are common symptoms. You might also feel stress or anxious more easily. While this is bad enough, if you suffer from sleep deprivation for a prolonged period, you could be doing serious damage to your health. Not only will you possibly gain weight, but you could also be at risk for getting depression, diabetes or also affect hormone production.
How to get a better night’s sleep
Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to ensure you get a good night’s sleep: you can make sure your room is dark and free from all electronics and things that distract you. Ensuring the room is well ventilated will also make for a good sleeping environment. You should also avoid consuming alcohol, cigarettes or fatty, heavy foods. Caffeine should also be eliminated from your bedtime ritual. Reading a book or taking a warm bath right before bed should also help you fall asleep faster.